Legendary football coach Vince Lombardi is not only considered one of the greatest coaches of all time, but one of the greatest teachers and motivators. Because of his discipline and demanding style he wasn’t always the most popular person with his players, but will most certainly go down in history as one of the most respected coaches ever due to his drive, dedication, commitment to winning and to doing things the right way. There are hundreds of Lombardi quotes; we picked 8 of our favorites that sum up some of the lessons kids should learn from playing youth sports.
There is no substitute for work.
- “Winning is a habit. Watch your thoughts, they become your beliefs. Watch your beliefs, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your habits. Watch your habits, they become your character.”
- “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.”
Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off of the goal.
- “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.”
- “After all the cheers have died down and the stadium is empty, after the headlines have been written, and after you are back in the quiet of your room and the championship ring has been placed on the dresser and after all the pomp and fanfare have faded, the enduring thing that is left is the dedication to doing with our lives the very best we can to make the world a better place in which to live.”
Individual commitment to a group effort – that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.
- “If you’ll not settle for anything less than your best, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish in your lives.”