If your child is playing basketball it’s important to make sure they are using with the right size ball. Yes. Basketballs come in many different sizes, ranging from size 1 to size 7. The sizing number assigned each ball is based on the circumference and even though it can seem like a small size variation it can make a huge difference.
- Size 7: 29.5-inch 22oz. Also called “Official size“. Used by boys in high school, college, and the NBA. Recommended for boys 15 years and older.
- Size 6: 28.5-inch 20 oz. Also called “Intermediate size“. For Boys ages 12-14 and Girls ages 12 and older. This is the size used for women in high school, college, and the WNBA. Also used in many youth basketball programs.
- Size 5: 27.5-inch, 17 oz. Also called “Youth size“. Boys and girls ages 9-11 years old. This is considered the standard youth basketball, but I find most youth leagues, including my own, play with a 28.5 inch ball.
- Size 4: 25.5-inch, 14oz. Also called a “Junior ball“. Recommended for boys and girls 5-8, but most kids in this age range us the mini so it can be a tough size to find.
- Size 3: 22-inch, 10oz. Also called the “Mini“. It is recommended for kids ages 4-8 years old.
- Size 1: 16-inch, 8oz. Also called the “Micro-mini“. For boys and girls ages 2-4 year olds.